Wednesday, September 10, 2008

small discomforts in life...

So I had to call this morning to make a doctors appointment. Does this make anyone else uncomfortable? I don't know what it is... I feel like there's going to be 2 scenerios. Either the receptionist is actually going to care about how valuable my time is and ask if there is a preferred day/time or she knows the doctor's time is more important than mine and she's going to start spouting out dates and times and I have to think quick.

Scenerio 1: She asks what day is best. Well, do I just kind of give an average day and time, or do I give an exact date. An exact date would seem awfully pretentious. Like how important is my ailment compared to other patients? Can I wait a month without dying? At this point, the receptionist doesn't even know what's wrong with you.

Scenerio 2: Receptionist just gives you a date. October 23 9:30 am. Actually that was it in this case. I just jumped in with a yes because sometimes they get really cranky if you're like 'no, that doesn't work, could I have an afternoon?' You absolutely cannot go through more than 3 dates or else you will be guaranteed a 2 hour wait next to a stinky fat man with boils (did I mention this is a dermatologist?) and then the doctor will want to scrape something off of you or something equally uncomfortable.

Them's the rules. I didn't make them, I just wanted to make you aware of them.

3 equal yet different opinions:

Knit Geek said...

Yes, I have similar issues, especially for someone hard to get into (like a dermatologist). If they ask for my input, I just say, "The first available appointment would be fine, thank you" or something like that. Sounds like a bit of a self-esteem issue, doesn't it?

Laura said...

and why is it so flippin hard to get into the dermatologist anyway? how many skin problems can there be? It's totally a self-esteem thing though, and fear of them just saying 'we won't accept you as a patient'

FarAway said...

You'll be proud to know that the dental assistants I teach English to have learned to ask "Which date would you like?" and "Morning, afternoon, or evening?" I don't suppose you want to come to here for a cleaning, do you? The office is open until 9:30 p.m. - very convenient. :)