Tuesday, September 9, 2008

I haven't talked about books for a while

So here's a list of what I've read recently and what I thought of it. I'm going to go in reverse order from what I read since my last post to the most recent book.



Such a pretty girl: Really disturbing. The topic mainly is disturbing. Based around a 15 yr old girl who was molested by her dad, he gets out of jail when she's 15 instead of when she's 18 as she was promised. Mother is psychotic and moves him right back in because he 'made a mistake'. Yeah, you really want to shake her the entire time. Young adult fiction but not bad.

The Center of Everything: Very inspirational. I didn't feel like the ending quite did the entire story justice. I wanted to know what happened, like it needed an 'afterward' because I really did become interested in the main character. Excellent coming of age novel though.

Wish: Must read of the summer! What a cute book! All the 80's references and idols were nothing short of hilarious! Great beach read. Light and funny, parts of it were a little intense but the humor just leveled it all out. Great great read.

Stargirl: another YA book. Sometimes I can get into these. This one was okay and I think we can definitely all learn something from stargirl, I just think it was all so exaggerated. Pretty much everything about the entire book felt exaggerated. I guess that's great for YA fiction because that's an exaggerated time of your life and if I'm going to continue to read YA then I should just accept that and get over it. I'll shut up now.

Lost & Found: Don't want to ruin it for you but *finally* a dog story where the dog doesn't die at the end! I love how in this book there's a couple chapters written from the dog's point of view. I always look at my dogs and wonder just what they're thinking, well, this guy is gonna tell you. Quite possibly the best dog ever. Good book, I felt like there were too many sub-plots that didn't quite get tied up at the end of the book but a great portrayal of life with a canine best friend.

That's all for now. I was on quite a reading kick for a while. I'm working on a new book now and then I'll probably move into a little bit heavier books as the weather gets colder.

3 equal yet different opinions:

Anonymous said...

You have most excellent taste in books!!

Becky said...

I will have to check out "Wish."
A great book that I just finished reading is called "Pinch Hitter" by Dean Whitney. It is a great wholesome story about a man who finally fulfills his childhood dream of playing on a major league baseball team. It talks about the struggles that he goes through as he becomes visible in the public eye... and a family secret is revealed during this time- I won't ruin it for you, but it is really good. Anyway, since it sounds like you love books so much, I thought I would share one of my recent favorite books.

.Nicotine.Queen. said...

Fabulous list. I haven't heard of any of them, so I must check them out.