Sunday, October 4, 2009

Creepy Halloween Tree Craft

I keep seeing all of these halloween trees on display with the cutest ornaments! I'd love to have one, but right now, I don't want to spend $40 just on a black tree and still have to decorate it! A-ha! Inspiration to get my crafting mojo back. So yesterday the lovely Karen came over and we made our own creepy halloween trees.


Earlier in the week, hubby and I had gone around the yard and picked up loads and loads of sticks. We picked out the most 'tree like' of those and set them off to the side.

Off to the creepy potting shed to pick out a couple old terracotta pots.

Down to the stream to scoop up some river rocks to hold our trees in place.

(sorry I didn't take any pictures of this yesterday, perhaps I will edit some in)

Wire a few branches together in a bundle so you have the number and size of branches that you want. Hold it in the center of the pot and fill in around it with river rocks.






Now, spray paint the whole thing black. I did take a brush and brush some of the dirt off my pot so the paint would stick, but it may look even creepier with the dirt still on it. I had the added bonus of some spider webs on my branches, they showed up when I spray painted. Even better for the effect!







After the black paint dried, I took some of the sparkle spray that they sell this time of year for your hair and sprayed lightly over my tree. It looked really great on the rocks!





Some dollar store candy and decorations like the styrofoam skulls and skeleton garland. I love the eyeball candy! We just poked a wire through it and went to town with our ornaments. I found the crow hanging out at the bottom of the tree at the dollar store as well. He was just begging to come home and be a part of my project!

If you decide to build a tree of your own, please post a link in my comments, I would love to see your take on this project!

0 equal yet different opinions: